Friday, May 25, 2012

Running Out of Options

Note Halleck's defensive posturing in his response to the War Department and President Lincoln and his not-so-subtle criticism of the war effort on this day in 1862.  Halleck is yet bombarded by requests from O.M. Mitchel and George Morgan in their efforts to control northern Alabama and The Cumberland Gap respectively. In fact, he is in the process of giving General Mitchel independent command over his troops.

HALLECK'S HEADQUARTERS,
May 25, 1862-6 p. m.

I have asked for no re-enforcements, but only whether any were to be sent to me. If any were to be sent, I would wait for them; if not, I would venture an attack. We are now in immediate presence of the enemy, and the battle may occur at any moment. I have every confidence that we shall succeed, but dislike to run any risk, and therefore have waited to ascertain if any more troops can be hoped for. Permit me to remark that we are operating upon too many points. Richmond and Corinth are now the great strategical points of war, and our success at these points should be insured at all hazards. My army is daily improving in health and discipline.

H. W. HALLECK,
Major-General.*

General Halleck seems to be running out of options and is facing the inevitability of a great battle for Corinth in the near future.


* ORE correspondence courtesy of my Favorite Link, Ohio State's eHistory

No comments:

Post a Comment