Monday, October 29, 2012

Who's in Charge? (Ver. 2)

It seems everyone except Buell has been informed of his dismissal.  The general sends this tersely worded telegram to his commanding officer in Washington to request clearification of his position.  Apparently Buell has returned to his headquarters at Louisville.

Ref.:  http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/sources/recordView.cfm?Content=023/0651

LOUISVILLE, KY ., October 29, 1862-11.30 a. m.
H. W. HALLECK, General-in-Chief: 

If, as the papers report, my successor has been appointed, it is important that I should know it, and that he should enter on the command immediately, as the troops are already in motion.

D. C. BUELL,
Major-General.


And to General Thomas...


Ref.: Ibid

OCTOBER 29, [1862].
General THOMAS, Lebanon:

I have just seen your letter to Fry.* I judge from what appears in the papers that Rosecrans has been ordered to relieve me. Under the circumstances I am sure I do not grieve about it.

D. C. BUELL.

* not found

No comments:

Post a Comment